Hi, I’m Artemis Anderson. I like to hike, travel, color my hair into different shades of the rainbow, take pictures, hang with my pup and eat food. I’m an advocate for the protection of our wild places and for ending the stigma of mental illness and suicide.
In 2013, I hiked the Wonderland Trail in my home state of Washington. A few months later I hiked a 100 mile section of the Oregon Coast Trail, and in 2014 I hiked all 400 miles of it. In 2016 I thru-hiked the 2650 mile Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada.
A few weeks after I finished the PCT, I packed my bags and moved abroad, living in Denmark and then eventually England. I spent 9 months traveling, trekking across the Spanish island of Tenerife, cycling and camping in Denmark in the dead of winter, hiking from the urban center of Glasgow, Scotland for 350 miles up the West Highland Way and Cape Wrath Trail, and thru-hiking the 630 mile South West Coast Path in England.
I currently reside in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, near Seattle.
More About Me:
- I grew up in rural Washington state, in a small hick town in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains and about an hour outside of Seattle. My home life was awful growing up, and I spent most of my time either running away from home or in the foster care system. When I found out what the nearby Alpine Lakes Wilderness had to offer, it changed my whole world. Through hiking and backpacking, as well as therapy, I was able to find happiness again and cope with my severe depression and anorexia.
- I am in a loving and stable relationship. I have little contact with my biological family because I consider them to be toxic people. That is all I am willing to get into about my personal relationships. I prefer to keep my private life just that: private.
- I’m a history buff! I love to nerd out to local history along the trail.
- I have a cat called Chinook and a little Aussie heeler dog named Nebula.
- Star Wars, ride or die baby.
- My favorite foods are tacos, nachos, Pho, craft beer, matcha tea, coffee, chocolate, peanut butter, basically all cheese, guacamole, onion rings, Thai food and big, greasy burgers. Oh, and tacos!
- Raspberries might be the only food I actually don’t like.
- I love making lists, probably because it’s cheaper than therapy.
- My favorite animals are otters (besides my dog and cat of course).
- Love going to the cinema
Through this blog, I hope to inspire and educate those who are interested in wilderness travel. I do not consider myself an expert, as the wilderness still has a great deal to teach me. I want to share my experiences with anyone who is willing; who thinks there is value in our surrounding forests, mountains and canyons. I hope to inspire you to get outside, go camping and hiking, clean up our trails and see how nature can positively affect your mental well being.
If you see me on the trail, please stop and say Hi! I can be found roaming my local Alpine Lake Wilderness area.
“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that Goddamn mountain.”
Thanks for dropping by and having a read, it’s greatly appreciated.
Contact and Support
If you like what you’ve seen on this blog, you can support my hiker hunger via PayPal. Your donations will go directly towards supporting my taco habit in a trail town while I’m out thru-hiking. Shoot me an email if you donate to my taco fund and I’ll send you a postcard from my current location on the trail.
I also have my own eBay store, where I’m selling all of my belongings to keep this hikertrash train going full steam ahead. If you buy some of my gently used hiking gear, clothing, books or housewares, you’ll be happy to know that the money I earn from this will go directly to funding my next thru-hike.
I have no sponsors, and all the gear I review is purchased by me. I only write honest, unbiased reviews of the items that I use on my journeys. If you are interested in sponsoring me, or having me as a brand ambassador, please use the contact form below. I will happily use and review any gear gifted to me. Reviews will be featured on this website and on my social media accounts.